Monday 27 April 2015

A Simple, Classic Makeup Look | MissCourtneyGrace


 One of my favourite things to do when I have free time is sit down and play with my makeup. I guess it is the equivalent of a guy and his video games, I could do it for hours. Anyway, I have accumulated quite a collection of new makeup over the past few months, and thought I would put a few products to the test. And that was how this simple, classic makeup look was born.


To begin with I primed my clean skin with MAC Matte Creme  and let it sink into my skin for a while before applying foundation. I have oily skin but if you have a different skin type switch up the primer. I never used to use one, but I totally notice the difference now and would never skip it. 

For my foundation I used Estee Lauder Double Wear in bone. I'm only using a sample at the moment but I am loving it so I think I am going to go back in and purchase it. Its a beautiful matte, full coverage foundation. However it NEVER looks cakey! The only word I can think of to describe it is, well, beautiful. I buff a small amount of this in using a fluffy brush. 

For concealer I used Maybelline Fit Me in fair under my eyes. I first blended it will a small fluffy brush but then went in with my fingers because I prefer to finish with this to get the ultimate blend. I don't really get dark circles so I focused most of it in my inner corners (by the side of my nose) which brightens everything up immediately! 

For powder I used my MAC Studio fix in the shade NW 15. I just dusted a little bit of this in my T-Zone to stop me from looking shiny. A good tip to not end up with the dreaded cake face is to not apply your powder straight away, but leave it till just before you head out the door. Otherwise you'll probably end up applying it twice and build up a bit to much powder. Whereas it doesn't really matter if you look a wee bit shiny in your own house. 

My brow routine has changed, and I'm honestly loving just one product. I used the MAC Eye Brow Crayon in Lingering. I started my combing my brow upwards with a clean mascara wand. Then I applied the pencil just to the bottoms of my brows, and blended up with a small, dense, angled brush. A MAC artist taught me this. It gives quite a defined look, but it is still soft. I then just combed through again to distribute it all. 

My blush is also MAC in the shade Melba which is just a matte, peachy colour. I prefer matte blushes for in the daytime because I'm not a fan of how shimmery blushes catch direct sunlight. It just doesn't look natural. Following on the MAC trend, my highlight is a Mineralize Skinfinish in Lightscepade. I applied this to the top of my cheek bones, across my forehead, down my nose and my cupids bow (just above the lip). I went quite heavy on the highlight because I wanted the skin to be the focus.

Onto eyes! I used the Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Bad to the bronze as a base and blended some MAC Quarry eyeshadow into the crease which is a cool toned matte brown. It is really important that your crease colour is matte because you want to create the illusion of a shadow. I applied a thin line of Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Liner, curled my lashes, and finished with a coat of Maybelline Illegal Length Mascara. 

I chose a coral lipstick to compliment the bronze eyeshadow. The one I used was the Rimmel Kate Moss lipstick in the shade 12. I applied one coat of this, blotted with a tissue, applied again, and then through a tissue patted some powder on with a fluffy brush. This ensures that your lipstick will have lasting power. 

Looking back, I probably should have called this look 'A MAC and Maybelline Makeup Look'. But I'm just really loving those brands right now! Obviously if you want to recreate this look you don't have to use the same products. I really do encourage you to sit down just for half an hour and play with some makeup though. Do it on a day where you aren't going anywhere so it doesn't matter if you muck up. Trial and error is a great way to discover new things. I'm definitely one to stick to a quick, basic makeup routine. So taking time out to play around gives me lots of creative ideas and inspiration. 

Here's a quick challenge for you when you get ready tomorrow. Switch up one product, or try something you wouldn't normally do. Its Autumn now, so wear a bold lip! Or try a new shade of eyeshadow. Or if you don't want anything too drastic maybe pop on a tiny bit of blush if you wouldn't normally. Or even some just lip gloss. Who knows? It might make all the difference in your confidence for that day. I hope you're having a wonderful day and you'll hear from me again shortly!


No comments:

Post a Comment